This material is copyrighted. Except for your own private use, you may not copy or reproduce it in any way without express permission from Northwest Resource Associates.
Our Adoption Tips for Families
The adoption process can seem overwhelming, or even lengthy. Our quick tips will help you on your way to a successful adoption journey.
Just getting started?
- Choose an adoption agency. Locate a state or private adoption agency that feels right for you. Browse our How to Adopt section for helpful agency information.
- Obtain an adoption homestudy. We do not do homestudies, but can help you find an agency that does. Note: You must have a completed homestudy to inquire about NWAE waiting children.
- Educate yourself! Every state requires that families complete pre-adoptive orientations and classes in order to adopt. Read books and articles on adoption topics and special needs.
- Educate others! Your adoption will impact your family and friends. Share information and resources to help you build a strong support system.
- Prepare for the future. Explore your local schools, adoption-certified therapists and other sources of post-adoption support for your new child and growing family.
- Sign-up for our NWAE Connections e-newsletter.
- Volunteer for a non-profit organization or school that needs help.
- Join a pre-adoption support group with other waiting families.
- Get to know experienced families who have already fostered or adopted waiting children.
- Support an organization like the NWAE that helps waiting foster children.
- Stay optimistic! The adoption process might take longer than you expected.
- Remember the waiting children – they are waiting too.
Have more questions? We are here to help.
Contact us anytime at 1.800.927.9411 or email@example.com.